Trans : SonexStella
source : https://imgur.com/a/HmMjk
Original article: http://news.cauon.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=25167

People Chung-Ang Newspaper Have Met: Kwon Yuri and Choi Sooyoung, singers and actors (Theatre and Film Major, Year 4)

Their Stories Written by Pencil, Rather than a Microphone The most number 1 rankings in Korean music programs, number 1 rankings in Japan Oricon chart, setting records for YouTube K-Pop music videos views last month. Like the motto they shout, “Right now, it’s Girls’ Generation!”, we could be living in a ‘Girls’ Generation’ right now. After debuting in 2007 with a song called “Into the New World”, they led the age of girl groups in Korea with songs like ‘Gee’ and ‘Tell Me Your Wish’, becoming Korea’s representative girl group, Girls’ Generation. The reason why Yuri and Sooyoung are friendly faces to us is because they are well known as alumni of Chung-Ang University. Since last year, they’ve been active ambassadors of Chung-Ang University. We met up with them to hear honest stories of their time as university students and their special stories as Girls’ Generation. Recently a photo was uploaded on SNSD Sooyoung’s Instagram. Accompanied by a caption that said ‘I like seeing you in the mornings ^^ #YuriHoobae’, in the photo, bare-faced Yuri and Sooyoung are smiling brightly. Seeing this photo taken en route to school, it reminded us ‘Ah, they’re both Chung-Ang University alumni!’ and perhaps telepathically, they contacted us. We couldn’t believe SNSD knocked on the doors of Chung-Ang newspaper. We wondered with what news they sought out Chung-Ang newspaper.


Q: We were surprised to receive your interview request. 
Sooyoung: Our theatre department has been staging a series of shows every season. Of course, we are in the midst of preparing the series for this summer. While preparing this series, for the first time, Yuri and I became a team. We ended up requesting an interview to promote the show and also to say hello to alumni who read Chung-Ang newspaper.

Q: We knew about the season series of various shows that are staged. 
Yuri: Yes, you’ll be able to watch three shows in this summer’s series, <Chatterbox Our Father Has Cancer>, <Salome> and <Café Sinpa>. Performances start on the 21st so please come watch (laughs). 

Q: Can we see Sooyoung and Yuri’s acting? 
Sooyoung: This time, we are participating as promotions team members. I definitely want to attempt acting or producing before I graduate. 

Q: How much longer do you have until graduation? Sooyoung started in 2009 and Yuri started in 2010. 
 Yuri: We are both in the first semester of our 4th year. I want to graduate on time by focusing and wrapping up my school career. However, I’m still falling short of my hopes so I’m going to work harder.

Q: How would you compare yourself now to when you started university? 
Sooyoung: Do you know Jang Geu-Rae from ‘Misaeng’? (Sooyoung is making reference to a character from a TV show.) When I first came to school, I was exactly like Jang Geu-Rae. I had a lot of thoughts like, ‘School is so hard’ and ‘My friends have prepared a lot before coming to school’. I remember trying so hard to catch up to my friends then like Jang Geu-Rae. Now that I’m in my 4th year and I have learned a lot, I’m able to follow the lessons during class a lot better. 
Yuri: I still don’t know it well (laughs). 
Sooyoung: You said that too! That you know things now that you’re in 4th year! 
Jang Geu-Rae parachutes into an intern role, with only a high school GED and with basic proficiency with computers. Jang Geu-Rae had a difficult time with hard-to-understand business language as well as the glares from others. Watching him, we empathized with him because we felt this was in our future. We never thought of a celebrity while watching Jang Geu-Rae. Celebrities are in a different world from us, who are desperate to find entry-level jobs. Everyone becomes a Jang Geu-Rae in an new environment where they don’t have any skills. They were not an exception.

Q: Why did you choose Chung-Ang University, which is well-known for arts? 
Yuri: First of all, Chung-Ang University’s theatre department has a deep history. There are also a lot of eminent sunbaenims. I had a good impression of Chung-Ang University’s theatre department because of its long history and powerful alumni. 
Sooyoung: I also often heard the curriculum itself is systematic.

Q: Did you have to interview/audition for the program? 
Sooyoung: Wow, I just remembered. I did so badly. 
Yuri: I enrolled after a bit of a break so I have auditioned prior to enrolling. I was fairly prepared since I already knew how the audition is run. Despite that, I was very nervous and shy for the Chung-Ang University audition. I remember acting out a scene from ‘Carmen’. 

Q: Were you shy because you couldn’t act? 
Yuri: No. The professor who interviewed me asked if I was active as a singer. So I responded that I’m currently active in a group called ‘SNSD’. When I said that, they asked to see a dance or a song that we perform on stage. I sang ‘Tell Me Your Wish’ without music accompaniment and did the leg kicking dance. 
Sooyoung: A cappella? 
Yuri: Yes, while dancing

Q: I think the professor did that on purpose. 
Yuri: That’s right. I think they wanted to see if I could do it or not. I could be too shy or embarrassed. They wanted to test if I had the intention to study at this school while enduring this. 

Q: How was the school for you, one that you worked hard to get into?
Sooyoung: Like I said before, I was Jang Geu-Rae in the beginning. Of course there were times when it was fun, like when I received good grades and praises. But there were lots of times when I felt neglected. One time, I ran to class because I thought I’d be late and no one was there. So I asked around and they said, “There is no class today. Why did you come?” No one told me that there was no class that day because I’m a celebrity. It’s similar during class too. I’ve heard people say, ‘It’s fine if you don’t get an A, right? Then you can go home’. I really felt neglected.

Q: Despite all of that, aren’t you here now because you adjusted well?
Yuri: That’s right. From my perspective, Sooyoung sunbae is incredibly sincere and a sunbae who tries her hardest. 
Sooyoung: Why are you suddenly calling me a sunbae? 
Yuri: You are my sunbae, sunbaenim~ (laughs). Sooyoung sunbae has a good reputation among professors. Thanks to her, I’ve been positively influenced as well. Since we are friends who are active in the same group, they think that Yuri is also hard working as well. 

Q: What does Sooyoung think of this assessment?
Sooyoung: Yuri definitely benefitted because of me (laughs). I’m kidding. My style is to work hard.
Yuri: She always sits in the front in class.
Sooyoung: What’s wrong with sitting in the front? 

Q: It’s not an easy thing to sit in the front. 
Sooyoung: It’s definitely harder in the early years. Now that we’re in our late years, Yuri is better at school. If she can’t make class, she always lets the professors know and checks course materials. She has good relationships with hoobaes, unlike me. Yuri has a special affinity so hoobaes call her ‘noona’ and follow her. 

Q: Is there a particularly memorable class?
Sooyoung: Personally, after mandatory liberal arts courses, I felt that it was important to study in university. Especially after <Logic and Thinking> and <Accounting and Society>. 

Q: <Accounting and Society> must have been difficult. 
Sooyoung: I couldn’t understand it at first, of course. But I realized why we need to learn it. University is a time to learn difficult economic terms and properly understand them. Right now, my parents look after finances but one day, that responsibility will fall to us. They are common knowledge that you need to know to live. Of course, it’s not that I know everything well right now but I definitely know more now that I’ve taken the classes.

Q: Class is class but do you know about the cruel punishment of group assignments? 
Sooyoung: Of course we know. We are normally unwillingly involved in group assignments. 
Yuri: Group assignments with SNSD! 
Sooyoung: That’s right. So we have a lot of empathy for the saying ‘who does everything and who does nothing’. There are friends who say, ‘I’ll make the PowerPoint’ and struggle alone. I know how hard it is to bring several people together. 
Yuri: There are times when we are inconveniences because we can’t attend class. It is a bit regretful because I do want to participate actively. I’m learning a lot at school about how difficult teamwork can be. I’m also learning to do my part that’s appropriate to the situation.  

I asked ‘In SNSD-related group assignments, what kind of roles do the two of you play?’. “Normally, when you do something as a group, you gather as a group the day before the final day. But as soon as Sooyoung is presented with something, her style is to ask ‘When we are getting together?” or ‘When do you have time?’.” “Yuri’s motto is ‘I need to enjoy it’. So even when she is ahead, if she loses interest, her style is to momentarily submerge herself? (Laughs) After that, if she misses a chance to star prominently, she regrets it”. They throw honest assessments at each other. After 8 years of a group assignment known as SNSD, they give answers that are raw and not packaged. It has already been 8 years since they’re debut. The shy 18 year olds who’d sing not to make fun of them (reference to lyrics of the song, “Girls’ Generation”) have disappeared and now they are standing at the peak.

Q: I have a video of your first stage. Do you remember it?
Yuri: Back then, we thought “Wow!” but now that we watch it, it’s very old fashioned.

Q: What did you feel when you got on that stage for the first time?
Yuri: At our company, they do an annual showcase to give trainees the opportunity to stand on stage. We stood on that stage several times so we weren’t nervous about the broadcast. We also prepared ‘Into the New World’ for a year. 
Sooyoung: It was the same for me. But afterwards, when I saw my parents’ faces, I remember being overcome with warm feelings.

Q: Then what was it like during the ‘Gee’ period? ‘Gee’ is SNSD’s representative hit song. 
Yuri: We were really thankful that so many people loved it. However, a lot of people think “Gee” got huge overnight but I don’t think that is true. I think it was one of many steps in our growth. 

Q: Weren’t you overwhelmed by the success of “Gee”?
Yuri: I didn’t feel that because there were so many things we needed to do at that time and a lot of schedules. Things like being #1 for 9 consecutive weeks, the fact that our outfits became in a huge fad… We didn’t have time to think about what any of this meant. When I listen to the song again, I think the song was really good and also think what happened was truly incredible. Even if we didn’t realize it back then.

Q: After that “Tell Me Your Wish” and “Oh!” were consecutive hits. But with the announcement of “The Boys” or “I Got a Boy”, public opinions were sometimes divided.
Sooyoung: We were trying to explore new markets but I think it was different from the colors of SNSD that were in the minds of the public. We don’t have any desire now to create a popular song like “Gee”. Of course if that happened, we would be perfectly happy, but what we continue to strive for is performance. SNSD’s key advantage as a group is performance and vocal line so we worry a lot over songs that will fulfill both of these areas.

Q: Is the fact that you’re worrying a sign of a countdown to SNSD’s comeback?
Yuri: Group activities are what is right in front of our eyes. I’ve received few scripts for individual activities but there’s a lot of overlap with group activities so I’m focusing on the group.

Q: When will we meet you as a group again?
Sooyoung: I think it will be within this year. It’s soon. Soon!

At first, I was very nervous to meet them. In high school, I danced to “Oh!” with friends and in university, I participated in a talent show with “Into the New World”. I always envied SNSD and now they were sitting across from me. So I asked them. What is your dream going forward? I asked the question expecting they would answer world tour or #1 on the Billboard Chart, but my prediction was wrong.

Q: You’ve walked a path that normal university students cannot experience. Is there advice you’d share with other university students? 
Sooyoung: I think other university students should give us advice (laughs). 
Yuri: I guess we are older than they are. Since they are young and youthful, I would like them to attempt anything and everything. Not just that, I hope they play well, study well, sleep well and eat well. And not to neglect anything.
Sooyoung: I’m the opposite. I hope they establish themselves quickly and live stable lives. You know how people say enjoy it because you only get one life. But if you look at that differently, it’s also your only chance to work hard at what you have. If you work now, you can relax later.

Q: Do you two have time to relax? You’ve been working since you were young.
Yuri: There’s still so much I need to do. Really, there’s so much.
Sooyoung: I talk to Yuri a lot about all of the things I want to do in the future. I feel there there’s a lot of things I want to do that aren’t easy.

Q: You’re at the top of your game and yet there are still things you want to accomplish.
Yuri: After graduating from university, you know how everyone worries about getting a job? I have the exact same concerns. Even though I am working as SNSD now but it doesn’t guarantee my future. I feel uneasy and it does worry me. Even though I think about it every day, I don’t have an answer. So I decided to ‘think about it when the times comes’. 

Q: Do you have any life goals that you’ve set your heart on?
Yuri: One that is in front of my nose is to graduate first. After that, I want to become an actor.
Sooyoung: I have an immediate goal. Today is Parent’s Day. So I made a restaurant reservation to eat dinner with my parents. I think my life is about living to take care of others. I have never dreamt big in terms of an occupation. Rather than have a goal and think ‘I need to follow this path’, I tend to think ‘I want to do this’ and then do it. If things don’t go my way, I can find other ways to pursue it. So today, I’m going to eat dinner with my parents. A bit later, I’m going to practice recording and then see my parents at night. 

xxx

What does Chung-Ang mean to you?  

sooyoung: ‘Sometimes friend’? (Laughs) It’s a tug of war. Like I said in the interview, sometimes it was so much fun and other times, I felt neglected. But now that I’m in the first semester of my final year and graduation is approaching, I’m going to miss it. I haven’t had a period of time where I beat myself up like this since the time I was a trainee. Like a frog in a well, I was stuck in well called Girls’ Generation and Chung-Ang University saved me. 

Yuri: Chung-Ang University? It’s family! It’s so precious to me and I can’t live without it. It’s a place that obviously needed to be by my side. Of course, tests and course materials are difficult. Then let’s put it this way. Chung-Ang University is… family but like a mother-in-law?


SNSD's 4th mini album 'Mr. Mr.' stage that we were able to see most recently on Korean music programs. We were able to meet SNSD that was has become more mature and powerful. 
Axact

Soshitoons

soshitoons is a delusional account whom only posting about yuri n sica whereabout without getting involved with their personal private life

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

show me your delulu